Access Keys:

Creevy National School, Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal

History of Creevy National School

Creevy National School was first established in 1842. The old school (now demolished) catered for both boy and girl pupils for over 100 years. The old school is quite near to the new school. The school is located about 5km from Ballyshannon on the Rossnowlagh Road. It is in the parish of Kilbarron, so called after Barron, who lived in the area. The ruins of the ancient church are situated between the school and Rossnowlagh.

The new school was opened on 1st June 1942 as a two-teacher school. It is also known as Scoil Náisiúnta Br. Mícheál Ó Cléirigh, so called after one of the four masters who often visited Kilbarron Castle in the area.

The school had to increase its capacity over the years as a number of smaller schools amalgamated to the more central Creevy National School. The former schools of the area were:

1820                Corker School

1842-1942       Old Creevy School

1846-1946       Tullymore School

1846-1965       Culmore School

1848-1915       Cashelard Mountain

1898-1970’s    Carricknahorna School

1863-1970’s    Behey School

1942-present   S.N. Br. Mícheál Ó Cléirigh

The current school now caters for over 200 pupils and has been developed over time with the most recent extension and refurbishment having been completed in 2012. The following is a timeline of the development of the current school:

1942                School established through amalgamation of other schools

1970                2 more classrooms and staffroom built

1979                1 more classroom built

1985                4 more classrooms built

2010                Extension and refurbishment of classrooms and new recreational hall

The school celebrated 150 years in 1992 with a photographic display, an open day for all past and present pupils and mass celebrated by the then chairperson Canon Dermot Britton.

The blessing by Most Rev. Philip Boyce OCD, Bishop of Raphoe, and official opening by Mr Dinny McGinley T.D. Minister of State, of the new extension and refurbishment of the school took place on Tuesday 15th May 2012.

Creevy Principals:

1842                Mr James Doherty

1881                Mr Francis Doherty

1920                Master Keegan

1950                Mr Jim O’Donnell, Ballyshannon

1989                Mr Tony Ryan, Bundoran

2011                Mr Daragh McDaid, Glenswilly

2014                Ms. Aoibheann Kelly, Ballintrillick